Leicester must not lose at ‘fantastic’ Sevilla, says Ron-Robert Zieler

first_imgLeicester City goalkeeper Ron-Robert Zieler has warned his team that they must avoid defeat in Sevilla in the first leg of their last 16 tie on Wednesday to have any hope of avoiding a premature exit from the Champions League.Leicester finished top of their European group and conceded just one goal in their first five games, but are struggling in the Premier League, where they sit a point and a place above the relegation zone.Sevilla on the other hand are third in La Liga, behind Real Madrid and Barcelona, and also boast a better European pedigree than Leicester, having won the Europa League for the past three years in a row.”It’s a big game,” Zieler told Leicester’s website (www.lcfc.com).”We did really well in the group stages. It’s a very tough game ahead of us. We’re one of only 16 teams left in Europe and Sevilla have done fantastic over the last couple of years.”The first leg is very important. Let’s put it this way — you shouldn’t lose. If we can get a draw, even a win, it would be fantastic for the second leg.”In addition to their Premier League woes, Leicester were knocked out of the FA Cup by third-tier Millwall on Saturday, and Zieler said he hoped playing in the Champions League would help his teammates get their minds off their domestic struggles.”It feels a long time ago since the last Champions League game because we’ve had the FA Cup and a lot of Premier League games,” added the 28-year-old, who was signed from Germany’s Hannover 96 in July last year.advertisement”Maybe also for our minds at this stage of the season, it’s a bit of a change, playing in the Champions League.”If we get a good result, hopefully we can take that into the Premier League. We all know that we need to do better in the Premier League, so maybe at this time of the season, it’s a good change to play in the Champions League.”last_img read more

Learn more →

Evening newswrap October 1, 2017

first_imgRahul plans to visit Amethi after 7 months, local authorities ask him to rethinkCongress vice-president Rahul Gandhi has planned to visit Amethi between October 4 and 6. But, the local administration has asked him to defer the visit to his Lok Sabha constituency.WATCH | Spanish riot police drag, throw people out of voting booth in Catalonia independence referendumClashes broke out less than an hour after polls opened, and not long before Catalonia regional president Carles Puigdemont was expected to turn up to vote at the sports center.England can win Ashes without Ben Stokes: Moeen AliStokes was arrested earlier this week on suspicion of causing actual bodily harm and suspended from internationals until further notice following brawl oustide a nightclub in Bristol.Soha Ali Khan and Kunal Kemmu name their daughter Inaaya Naumi KemmuKunal Kemmu took to Twitter to announce that he and Soha Ali Khan had named their daughter Inaaya Naumi Kemmu.last_img read more

Learn more →

Rafinha has ‘no interest’ in move

first_imgTransfers Rafinha has ‘no interest’ in Barca exit – Mazinho Ben Spratt Last updated 2 years ago 00:00 10/18/17 FacebookTwitterRedditcopy Comments(0) Rafinha Barcelona 2016-17 Getty Transfers Barcelona Primera División The Brazil international’s father has revealed that he has no desire to leave Camp Nou and is happy working with new manager Ernesto Valverde Rafinha has no interest in leaving Barcelona, according to his father Mazinho.The Brazil international has been out with a knee injury since April, undergoing surgery for the second time earlier this month, but was linked with a move away from Camp Nou in the recent transfer window.Barca, Madrid & PSG 10/11 all to win Article continues below Editors’ Picks Why Barcelona god Messi will never be worshipped in the same way in Argentina Lyon treble & England heartbreak: The full story behind Lucy Bronze’s dramatic 2019 Liverpool v Man City is now the league’s biggest rivalry and the bitterness is growing Megan Rapinoe: Born & brilliant in the U.S.A. Mazinho – himself a former Brazil star – insists he and his son retain a good relationship with Barca, though, with any move difficult anyway due to Rafinha’s fitness concerns.”The important thing is that [Rafinha] is feeling better,” Mazinho told Radio Marca . “Our concern is that he recovers, that he can return to a football pitch.”We haven’t talked to anyone because, with an injured player, it’s difficult to negotiate anything with other clubs. Besides, we have no interest [in a move] either. We have a contract with Barca.”Rafinha’s fine, he’s recovering, carrying out his work and he’ll be back soon. I’ve had a perfect relationship with Barca since 2005 and I have no complaints.”I don’t think Rafinha has any problems with the coach [Ernesto Valverde] or his system because he’s a player that can adapt to any position.”last_img read more

Learn more →

Wenger told to step down by man who signed him

first_imgArsène Wenger Wenger accused of outstaying Arsenal welcome by the man who appointed him Chris Burton Last updated 1 year ago 08:31 3/3/18 FacebookTwitterRedditcopy Comments(2) Arsène Wenger Arsenal Premier League The long-serving Frenchman has resisted calls to step aside in the recent past, but has been urged to walk away by former chairman Peter Hill-Wood Arsene Wenger has been accused of outstaying his welcome at Arsenal by Peter Hill-Wood, the man who appointed him back in 1996.Arriving in England as a relative unknown, the Gunners could never have imagined that 22 years later they would still be working under the guidance of the long-serving Frenchman.Wenger has proved to be a shrewd addition, with three Premier League titles and seven FA Cup triumphs secured during his reign, but the general consensus among a growing number of Arsenal supporters is that a change in the dugout is required. Editors’ Picks Lyon treble & England heartbreak: The full story behind Lucy Bronze’s dramatic 2019 Liverpool v Man City is now the league’s biggest rivalry and the bitterness is growing Megan Rapinoe: Born & brilliant in the U.S.A. A Liverpool legend in the making: Behind Virgil van Dijk’s remarkable rise to world’s best player Calls for a parting of ways are mounting during another testing campaign, with former club chairman Hill-Wood conceding that an iconic figure is in danger of causing lasting damage to his legacy.“I clearly am not very happy about what is going on,” Hill-Wood, who stood down at Emirates Stadium in 2013, told the Daily Star.“I think that there probably ought to be a change of management.“He has done fabulously well, it is just he has overstayed his welcome.“I find it very sad because he was the great love of many and then it [overstaying his welcome] has destroyed it all.”Arsene Wenger outstayed welcome Peter Hill-WoodWenger finds himself under pressure from supporters, former players and pundits, but he has stubbornly refused to waver in his stance.The 68-year-old has always maintained that he is the best man from the job in north London and he has offered no indication that he is about to walk away.Quizzed on his current situation, Wenger has said: “I am always ready for a fight. I am of course very disappointed but I have experienced these situations before.“Yes of course [I am as confident as ever]. I have been in these situations in my life and I know what it takes – experience and the desire to change things.“Does that desire still burn as strongly? Of course.”last_img read more

Learn more →