Barbados disappointed at level of support for CCJ

first_img Jun 11, 2020 PORT AU PRINCE, Haiti, Feb 28, CMC – Barbados has expressed its disappointment that only four Caribbean Community (CARICOM) countries have joined the appellate jurisdiction of the Trinidad-based Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ) that was established in 2001 to replace the London-based Privy Council as the region’s final court.Prime Minister Freundel Stuart, who attended the 29th CARICOM Inter-Sessional summit that ended here on Tuesday, said that it is unacceptable that, to date, only four Member States have joined the Court.“We contend that it is a disgrace that after the Caribbean Court of Justice has been in existence for so long, that only four countries have signed on to that court in its appellate jurisdiction.“I do not buy the argument that there is a division of opinion in the countries that have not signed on to the Court in its appellate jurisdiction, because the biggest decision that CARICOM countries have had to make has been on Independence,” Stuart said.Via CMCWhile most of the CARICOM countries are signatories to the Original Jurisdiction of the CCJ that also functions as an international tribunal interpreting the Revised Treaty of Chaguaramas that governs the 15-member regional integration movement, only Barbados, Belize, Dominica and Guyana have signed on to the Appellate Jurisdiction.Stuart said that if “we’ve all decided that we want to be independent and we were able to unite the population on those issues, I cannot see why on matters relating to how our disputes are handled and how our grievances are addressed that we still believe that the former colonial master is better than people here in the Caribbean.”Prime Minister Stuart said that Barbados is of the view that, “you can’t have one foot in and one foot out” in terms of the jurisdiction of the Caribbean Court of Justice.He expressed optimism that the matter would be addressed at the next CARICOM summit to be held in Jamaica in July and that more definitive answers would be taken on what steps Members States proposed to take to correct the situation.Meanwhile, the regional leaders, have adopted a tourism marketing plan that is designed to place regional countries on an upward trajectory.Prime Minister Stuart said the initiative was important since there were predictions that the upcoming hurricane season was forecast to be just as active as last year’s.“And, if that forecast holds true and there are any casualties in terms of CARICOM members [states], we have to be ready to spring into action to indicate that even though we may have had reverses in terms of a natural disaster, the Caribbean is still open for business,” he stated.Against the background of diminishing market share, Stuart noted that Barbados agreed in principle to the new tourism marketing initiative.The plan was presented by the Bahamas government,  which has lead responsibility for tourism in the CARICOM quasi-cabinet. Share this:PrintTwitterFacebookLinkedInLike this:Like Loading… You may be interested in… CDB hails Arthur as Steadfast, Passionate Defender of… CCJ Takes Lead in Assisting Justice Sector To Adjust to… Mar 18, 2020 Opinion: Caribbean Court of Justice VS the Privy Council(Kaieteur News Editorial,12 July, 2018) The recent ruling against presidential term limits in Guyana by the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ) is revealing. The CCJ is the final court of appeal, replacing the Privy Council. Guyana is not the only country to be proud of the CCJ. Other CARICOM nations…July 12, 2018In “CARICOM”Referendum Day in Antigua/Barbuda and GrenadaThe people of Antigua/Barbuda and Grenada are voting today on whether or not to replace the London-based Privy Council with the Caribbean Court of Justice as their final court. In both cases, a two-thirds majority of the total number of ballots cast is required to make the switch to the…November 6, 2018In “Antigua & Barbuda”Antigua and Barbuda moving to join CCJST JOHN’S, Antigua (CMC) – The Antigua and Barbuda says it is moving towards joining the Trinidad-based Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ), as the island’s final court. Cabinet has accepted a recommendation from Attorney-General and Minister of Legal Affairs, Steadroy Benjamin, on the issue. The CCJ was established in 2001…August 5, 2015In “Antigua & Barbuda”Share this on WhatsApp COVID-19: CCJ takes safety measures CCJ Upholds COTED Decision on Cement Tariff Increase Jul 29, 2020 May 11, 2020last_img read more

Learn more →

Plans submitted for new Hilton Garden Inn in Stoke

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

Learn more →

Messer to help less fortunate in Vietnam

first_imgSubscribe Get instant access to must-read content today!To access hundreds of features, subscribe today! At a time when the world is forced to go digital more than ever before just to stay connected, discover the in-depth content our subscribers receive every month by subscribing to gasworld.Don’t just stay connected, stay at the forefront – join gasworld and become a subscriber to access all of our must-read content online from just $270.last_img

Learn more →

Port Isabel man dies in hit and run

first_imgBy DINA ARÉVALOPort Isabel-South Padre Presseditor@portisabelsouthpadre.comA Port Isabel man died after a hit-and-run last Friday morning, authorities report.Genaro Juarez Lopez, was walking near Isabel’s Café in Port Isabel when he was struck by a motorist at approximately 8:45 a.m., Port Isabel Police Chief Robert Lopez (no relation) said in a phone interview earlier this week.The driver, Brownsville resident Leonel Abarca, was not familiar with the area, Lopez said. He was attempting to return to Highway 100 from Port Road when the incident occurred, the chief said. “He was going to drive on Port Road to go back around at the light,” Lopez said.“When he was turning there in front Isabel’s … he hit that gentleman,” he said.Port Isabel EMS responded to the scene and attempted to resuscitate Lopez, continuing to perform CPR as they transported him to Valley Regional Hospital in Brownsville, Lopez said.Want the whole story? Pick up a copy of the Port Isabel-South Padre Press, or subscribe to our E-Edition by clicking here. Share RelatedTRAGEDY: Motorcyclist evading police strikes, kills pedestrianBy DINA ARÉVALO Port Isabel-South Padre Press editor@portisabelsouthpadre.com Officials say a motorcyclist who was riding erratically and evading police struck and killed a pedestrian in Port Isabel last Sunday evening. The rider, identified as Mercedes resident Ronnie Huerta, 33, was seen weaving through traffic on the Queen Isabella Memorial Causeway at…March 9, 2018In “News”Huerta charged with intoxication manslaughterArrest comes 7 months after motorcycle crash led to death of former PRESS editor Liz Sweeten By DINA ARÉVALO Port Isabel-South Padre Press editor@portisabelsouthpadre.com Port Isabel police today arrested a man in connection with the death of former Port Isabel – South Padre Press journalist Elizabeth “Liz” Sweeten. Ronnie Huerta, 33,…November 2, 2018In “News”Student struck by car on Port Road in critical conditionBy Gaige Davila editor@portisabelsouthpadre.com A Port Isabel High School student was struck by a car on Port Road in Port Isabel around 4:00 p.m. Tuesday, January 14, according to Port Isabel Police Department. The student, who is 17-years-old, is currently in Valley Regional Hospital in Brownsville, Texas. As of Wednesday…January 16, 2020In “News”last_img read more

Learn more →

Bayern, PSG meet in CL final

first_imgLISBON, Portugal (AP):After an unprecedented suspension of the competition, pandemic-enforced changes to the format and a switch of location for the final, the Champions League will conclude today – 425 days after the first game was played.Either Paris Saint-Germain will pick up the European Cup for the first time or Bayern Munich will become six-time winners of the continent’s premier competition.And just a few hundred people, including the coronavirus-checked players and officials, will be allowed into the final, which is being played in Lisbon in late August rather than Istanbul in May, as originally scheduled.Never before has the European Cup been handed out in such empty surroundings. There’s none of the usual gathering of tens of thousands of supporters in the host city. Only the large trophy in Rossio – Lisbon’s main central square – gives away that the biggest match in world football is taking place in the Portuguese capital.The lack of buzz and atmosphere at this 65th European Cup final will not detract from the magnitude of the occasion for the teams. For the first time since 1998, the final is a meeting of two teams who qualified as domestic champions. Celebrating the 50th anniversary since their formation – after the merger of Paris clubs – PSG are younger than the 65-year-old European Cup. Becoming European champions would be the fulfilment of a nine-year journey of lavish investment since the state of Qatar bought the club. “They will be the most important 90 minutes of our lives as footballers and in the history of the club,” said Marco Verratti, who has been at PSG eight years. DOMINANT FORCE More than $1 billion in player investment – including the €222 million world record signing of Neymar in 2017 – has turned PSG into such a dominant force in France that the seasons become a procession. Seven out of the last eight Ligue 1 titles have been captured by PSG and four of the last six campaigns have ended in domestic trebles.But PSG had become synonymous with its Champions League collapses, failing to make the semi-finals for a quarter-century until this month in Lisbon.Since winning the Champions League for a fifth time in 2013, Bayern have lost four semi-finals.Founded in 1900, Bayern established themselves as a super club long before states started investing in football. Whereas PSG is an extension of soft power by Qatari Emir Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, at Bayern, it is the fans who control the football club through a mass membership system.last_img read more

Learn more →

Deal agreed for Costa to rejoin Atletico

first_imgChelsea have confirmed that a deal has been agreed for Diego Costa to rejoin Atletico Madrid when the transfer window reopens in January.The Spain international, who turns 29 next month, was told in the summer he had no future at Stamford Bridge.AdChoices广告A Chelsea statement read: “Chelsea Football Club has today agreed terms with Atletico Madrid for the transfer of Diego Costa.“The transfer will be subject to the agreement of personal terms and a medical.”Reports in Spain suggested the fee could be around £48.5m up front, with another £9m dependent on bonuses. Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook See also:Nottingham Forest boss admits he was surprised by ‘world class’ ChelseaConta backs Musonda after superb Chelsea debutConte confirms Bakayoko is fine after minor accidentConte: Zouma’s long-term future is at ChelseaConte backs Chelsea youngsters to shineChelsea Under-23s lose at Leicesterlast_img read more

Learn more →

Procedures for limiting the spread of Covid-19 infection in LBS competitions…

first_imgThe Board of the Latvian Basketball Union has approved the “Procedure for the Implementation of Epidemiological Safety Measures to Limit the Spread of Covid-19 Infection in Basketball Competitions Organized by the Latvian Basketball Union”.Epidemiological safety measures to limit the spread of COVID-19 infection are implemented in basketball competitions organized by LBS: Pafbet Latvian-Estonian League, Douglas Baltic Basketball League, Pafbet Latvian Basketball League, Ramirent National Basketball League, Regional Basketball League, Latvian Cup.Approved procedure – in the annex.last_img read more

Learn more →

Scotland ready to lure Welbeck

first_imgScotland are hoping to persuade Manchester United youngster Danny Welbeck to turn his back on Ghana and England.The 17-year-old qualifies to play for the Black Stars through his parents and Scotland are also investigating claims he has family links with them.Welbeck has become a household name this season after bursting onto the scene at Old Trafford.He has not looked out of place in Sir Alex Ferguson’s quintuple-chasing side and is being tipped for big things in the future.Welbeck has also broken into Stuart Pearce’s England U21 setup and is expected to form part of a squad which goes in search of European Championship glory this summer.He can already boast a Carling Cup winners’ medal and will be hoping to get his hands on the Premier League crown at the end of the campaign. Welbeck has opted to remain coy on the issue for now, though, insisting he is focused solely on improving his game.“To get a call to the England U21s was a great honour and I’m just looking to push on,” he said.“I’ve just been playing and enjoying my football and whenever I get called up to any team I give it my best shot and do as well as I can.”Source: Ghanasoccernetlast_img read more

Learn more →

Woody Harrelson, Jamie Foxx, Marisa Tomei, Will Ferrell & more to stage live performances of classic ‘All in the Family’ and ‘The Jeffersons’ episodes for ABC

first_imgPhoto by Ron Eisenberg/Michael Ochs Archives/Getty Images(LOS ANGELES) — Jimmy Kimmel and legendary TV show creator Norman Lear have tapped major Hollywood talent for upcoming live performances of classic episodes of All In The Family and its spin-off, The Jeffersons.Live in Front of a Studio Audience: Norman Lear’s “All in the Family” and “The Jeffersons” will feature Woody Harrelson as Archie Bunker, Academy Award-winner Marisa Tomei as his wife Edith and The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt‘s Ellie Kemper as their daughter, Gloria Stivik.Oscar-winner Jamie Foxx will play George Jefferson, Wanda Sykes will play Weezie; Will Ferrell will play their neighbor Tom Willis, and Justina Machado will play Florence, their sassy maid.This 90-minute special airs live Wednesday, May 22, starting at 8 p.m. on ABC.The two beloved sitcoms were anything but politically correct — in an era that predated the term — and managed to address hot-button issues like racism, divorce, interracial marriage, poverty, politics and even sexual assault.“They have said over and over again that these two shows were meant for the ’70s and would not work today. We disagree with them and are here to prove, with two great casts depicting All in the Family and The Jeffersons, the timelessness of human nature,” Lear said in a statement.“I cannot wait to see what these glorious performers make in our time of these indelible characters, and I couldn’t be more grateful for Jimmy Kimmel, Sony and ABC for their collective willingness to conceive and pursue this never-been-done-before event.”Kimmel added, “The fact that a group of Oscar winners eagerly agreed to play these iconic characters is a testament to the greatness of these shows and their creator, Norman Lear. To be a part of this is a dream come true for me and for everyone involved.”Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Learn more →

Four IMCA divisions featured at Canyon’s Winter Challenge

first_imgPEORIA, Ariz. – IMCA Modifieds run for $1,000 to win and berths on the Fast Shafts Allstar Invitational all four nights of the Winter Challenge Series at Canyon Speedway Park.Saturday and Sunday Jan. 21-22 and Jan. 28-29 programs also feature IMCA Sunoco Stock Cars and Karl Chevrolet Northern SportMods in $500 to win features while IMCA Sunoco Hobby Stock chase $250 top checks.IMCA Speedway Motors Weekly Racing National, regional, Allstar Performance State and special se­ries, but no local track points will be given all four nights.Pill draw is $25 for the Modifieds, $20 for both Stock Cars and Northern SportMods, and $10 for Hobby Stocks.Pit gates will be open throughout both weekends and camping is available. Grandstands open at 11 a.m. and racing begins at 1 p.m. Pit passes are $35 for adults, $20 for kids ages 7-11 and free for six and under. Spectator admis­sion is $20 for adults, $15 for seniors and military, and free for kids 11 and under.Open practice sessions start at 7 p.m. Fridays Jan. 20 and 27.More information is available at the www.canyonspeedwaypark.com website or by calling 602 258-7223.last_img read more

Learn more →